This post was written by our Kutztown Employee, Maddy. Thanks Maddy, these look great!
About six months ago, my mom and I found out we can’t eat gluten. Since then we have been trying out different recipes for gluten free foods. Here is our favorite recipe for gluten free pancakes. (Based on a recipe from AllRecipes.com)
1 cup Brown Rice Flour
3 tbsp. Tapioca Flour
1/3 cup Potato or Cornstarch
2 tbsp. Ground Flax Seed (optional, makes pancakes even more fluffy)
1 tbsp. Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Baking Soda
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Xanthan Gum
3 tbsp. Canola Oil or Butter
1 ½ to 2 cups Buttermilk (depends on your preferred thickness of batter)
- In a large bowl, mix or sift together the flours, starch, flax seed, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum.
- In another bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, and oil.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir until a few lumps remain
- Heat a pan, skillet, or griddle over medium heat. Put some oil or butter in the pan to keep the pancakes from sticking.
- Spoon batter onto pan and cook until bubble start to form.
- Flip over and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Take out of pan and eat!
You can put syrup on your pancakes or I like to put jelly on mine. Also, you can put cut up fruit or chocolate chips in the pancakes during step 5. Enjoy!